Well it has been just over a year since our Patagonian journey and in two weeks we will be winging our way back to Santiago, Chile, for another 3 months exploring.
What will be the same?
- same team – Alan, Jo and our old trek bikes
- same length of time – just under 3 months
- similar length journey – about 3,500km as the crow flies
What will be different
- flash 14 speed Rohloff hubs that should be zero maintainance (and require lower brain power!) The Rohloffs are enclosed rear hub with a linear 1-14 set of speeds, one gear shifter and same range of gears – NO DERAILLEARS
- stronger carriers!
- addition of front paniers to cope with long stretches between towns (maybe a week) and a couple of days between water sources = heavier loads
- possiblility of up to minus 20 at nights but warmish days = more clothes
- a new Hilleberg tent – HEAPS bigger and lighter than the old Minaret – no stealth camping as we went for friendly red
- a lot of time around 4000m and close to 5000m passes to cross
- not many trees!
- long stretches of no fresh fodder
- heading north not south
- less internet on route
Our Route – click here for more info..